During my childhood, I always used to wait for the days when my mom cooks Fried rice or biriyani than the normal rice and curries. My dad used to take us out for lunch once in a while and whenever he used to take us to some restaurant, he always used to order Biriyani. So for me Biriyani always has this scent of my sweet old childhood memories.
For Masala :-
1.Big Onions( yellow\red) – 3
2.Ginger – 1 big piece
3.Garlic – 6 big ones
4.Green Chillies – 8 medium ones
Biriyani Rice – 3 cups
1.Coriander powder – 2 tspn
2.Turmeric powder – 1 tspn
3.Garam masala – 1 tspn
1.Plain Yogurt – 1 cup
2.Lemon juice – 1/2 cup
3.Coriander leaves – cilantro – 1 bunch
4.Pudhina leaves (mint ) – 1 bunch
5.Tomato – 3 big ones (ripe)
6.Salt – as req
7.Cashew Nuts – 15
8.Dry Grapes -15
9.oil – 2 tablespoon
10.Chicken Drumsticks – 7 or 8 ( I cook the drumsticks in cooker for one whistle)
1. In order to make the chicken masala, chop all the masala ingredients in a mixer.
2. Pour the oil in a pan and add the masala and stir it until it becomes brown.
3. Add salt and then add tomato. Add coriander powder and turmeric powder. Mix it well.
4. Add cilantro and mint leaves. Mix it well.
6. Add the chicken pieces ( already cooked for one whistle in water, turmeric and salt) and garam masala and mix well. Now let the chicken soak in the masala for 10 mts (~30 mts ,if not kept on pressure cooker).
1. Pour the ghee\oil in pan.
2. Add rice. Stir carefully so that the rice is not broken ( try not to fry rice, so keep in low flame). After 2 mts add hot water. 3. Add salt and garam masala. When it starts boiling, keep a lid and keep in medium flame. Let it cook upto 85%.
Fry little bit onion, cashewnuts and dry grapes in ghee or oil.
1. Layer the bottom of the baking pan with chicken masala.
2. Add rice on top of it. Add the seasoning little bit. Then again add the chicken and then rice.
3. Cover with aluminum foil and bake it for 30 mts at 350 degrees.