Prawns curry is one of my recently got passion. My mom used to make curry of prawns with drumsticks (Vegetable (Moringa)). She also used to add prawns while she makes vegetable side dish with snake gourd. I used to like this, but I always like to have the prawns curry slightly spicy but with the mist of coconut milk which she seldom used to make. So once I started cooking, I experimented it in my own way and created this recipe.
- Prawns – 1 pound
- Onions – 1 (big) / 2(Small) (Shallots can also be added to elevate the taste)
- Ginger – 1 piece
- Ginger Garlic paste – 2 tsp
- Tomato – 2 medium size
- Mustard Seeds – a bit
- Curry Leaves
- Dried Red Chillies – 6 medium ones
- Oil (I used Olive oil)
- Salt – as required
- Coconut milk (Optional)
1.Chilly powder – 2 tspn
2.Turmeric powder – 1 tspn
3.Coriander Powder – 1 ½ tspn
4.Fenugreek powder – one small pinch
5. Pepper powder – 1 tsp
6. Cumin Powder – ½ tsp
Note: Clean the prawns and marinate it with crushed ginger and ¼ tsp of turmeric and little salt.
- Heat oil in a Kadai, splutter mustard seeds, red chillies and curry leaves.
- Add crushed ginger and giner-garlic paste into that. Saute for few minutes until they turn slightly brown and then add chopped onions and little salt.
- Add cumin powder and pepper powder.
- Saute the onions until they turn golden brown. Add the masala powders 1 through 4 and mix it well for few minutes. Add the tomatoes to this and allow the juices from the tomato to ooze out.
- Add few more curry leaves and allow the curry to boil for few minutes.
- Now add the prawns. Allow the prawns to absorb the flavors from the curry and get cooked in medium flame.
- Add little bit of water and salt .
- Step 7 is optional. I like to add coconut milk to the prawns curry. Once the prawns are about to be cooked, I add coconut milk and take the kadai from the flame and swirls the curry instead of using a spoon to stir. Place the kadai back in low flame and allow the coconut milk to make the curry to thicken.
- Garnish the curry with cilantro or curry leaves. I normally keep the prawns curry covered for few minutes before serving to make sure all the flavors are locked in and distributed evenly.
- Serve with rice.