One of my childhood friend is from TamilNadu and whenever I used to visit her home, her mom used to make tomato rice for us. I have seen aunty would be busy talking to us, helping us with our craft works and then she asks whether we are ready for a quick lunch. And within no time, she comes with tomato rice, pappad and raita. Tomato rice is an easy tasty recipe that can be prepared in 15 mts.
- Onions – 1 (small – cut into small pieces)
- Ginger – 1 piece (cut into small pieces)
- Tomato – 3 medium size (Ripe one is the best for this, cut into medium pieces)
- Mustard Seeds – a bit
- Curry Leaves
- Dried Red Chillies – 6 medium ones
- Ghee (Oil can be used, but I personally likes to use ghee instead of oil) – 2 tsp
- Salt – as required
- Rice (Cooked white rice) – 1 cup
- Cashewnuts – ½ cup
- Dal – ½ cup
1.Chilly powder – 1 tspn
2.Fenugreek powder – one small pinch
3.Hing powder – one small pinch
4. Cumin Powder – ½ tsp
5.Garam masala – ¼ tsp
- Heat ghee in a Kadai, splutter mustard seeds, red chillies and curry leaves.
- Add chana dal and cashew nuts into this and saute until it becomes slight brown.
- Add ginger to this and saute well.
- Add onions and little salt to the mixture and saute the onions until they turn transparent (not golden brown).
- Add masala powder ingredients 2 through 5 to this mixture.
- Once the raw smell of the masala powder has gone, add red chilli powder. Mix it well.
- Add tomato to this and let the tomato juice ooze out and adjust the salt as required.
- Add the cooked rice to this and mix it without breaking the rice.
- Garnish it with curry leaves or coriander leaves.