I never thought making chicken cutlet was so easy until I tried it last christmas. For Christmas we planned for Kerala style christmas spread and had invited few friends over. I was happy that my first trial on Cutlet turned to be a good one. From then onwards whenever I need an easy finger food/starter, I choose to make this. Sharing with you the recipe for chicken cutlet.
- Chicken – 1 pound (I normally use thigh instead of breast)
- Onions – 1 big (thin slices)
- Potato – 1 big or 2 medium (I cook the whole potato in a pressure cooker and then mash it)
- Tomato – 1 medium
- Egg – 1
- Ginger – 1 medium (~ 3 tsp crushed)
- Garlic – 4 pods (crushed)
- Green Chillies – 2
- Curry leaves
- Bread crumbs – 1 cup
- Salt – as required
1.Red Chilly powder – 1 ½ tsp
2.Pepper powder – 1 tsp
3.Garam Masala – 1 tsp (I usually use the garam masala my Mother in law prepares – she uses Cloves, Cardamom, Star ainse, Cinnamon to make the masala)
4.Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Making the cutlet filling ready:
1.Pressure cook the chicken with salt, garam masala,few curry leaves and cilantro with very little water. (I usually wait for 2-3 whistles, so that it is easy to shred the chicken). Once it is ready shred the cooked chicken using a thick bamboo spoon.
2. Pressure cook the potato. (You can also cut the potato into small pieces and microwave it). Once cooked well, mash it.
Making the masala for the cutlet:
1.Heat Oil in a kadai, add green chillies and curry leaves . Add ginger and garlic. Saute until the ginger garlic turns to light brown color.
2. Add the chopped onions and salt. Saute this until they turn golden brown.
3. Add pepper powder to this and mix it well.
4. Add red chilli powder, turmeric and garam masala and saute until the raw smell of the masala is gone.
5. Add the shredded chicken in the pressure cooker to the masala and mix it evenly. Adjust salt to taste. ( As potato doesn’t have any added salt make sure that is compensated in the masala).
6. Remove this masala mixed with chicken from heat and allow it to cool.
7. After the masala is kept for a while add the mashed potato to the chicken masala mix.
1. Make small balls with the above mixture (same size).
2. Take 2 small bowls, one with egg (whisk it) and the other with bread crumbs.
3. Heat the oil in a kadai.
4. Take the masala balls and flatten them into oval or round shape.
5. Dip this masala ball first in egg bowl. Make sure egg is coated well on both sides of the cutlet.
6. Take the cutlet from the egg bowl and coat the cutlet with bread crumbs. Because of the egg the bread crumbs would stick to the cutlet.
8. Place the cutlet in a napkin to remove the extra oil. Enjoy the cutlet while its hot :).