Dosa and Idli are one of the common breakfast item in South India. Sambar and Chutney are the side dishes served with these. Coconut chutney is my favorite when it comes to dosa. This is one of the simple and easy side dish that can be made within 10 mts when compared to Sambar. We can add various ingredients to coconut and make a variety of Chutneys . If we add chilli powder to Coconut it would be Red chutney (which my husband loves) or add cilantro to make Green chutney (Khushal’s favorite) or add lentils (My mom’s favorite) etc. The recipe I have added here has just coconut as the main ingredient and no other add ons. I love the white color of this chutney.
- Grated Coconut – 2 cups (I had used frozen one)
- Salt – to taste
- Ginger – small piece (chopped finely)
- Water – small cup
For Tempering (Tadka)
- Oil – 1tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 pinch
- Asafoetida (Hing) – 1 pinch
- Curry Leaves – 5-7 leaves
- Red Chilly – 4
- Green Chilly – 3
- Shallot – 2 pieces (cut circular)
- Grind the ingredients 1 through 4 in a blender\mixer to a smooth consistency.
- Heat oil in a kadai\pan.
- Add mustard seeds and once it splutter add shallots, asafoetida,green chilies and red chillies.
- Fry for few seconds and then add Curry leaves.
- Add the grinded contents from the mixer to 4.
- Add water and salt if required. Mix it well.7.
- Serve with dosa or idli.