- Cucumber (Vellarikka) – 1 handful
- Yogurt – 1 cup
- Coconut (Grated) – ½ cup
- Green Chillies – 2 medium size
- Shallots (small onions) – 3 medium size
- Mustard seeds – few
- Oil (Coconut oil is preferred)
- Red Dried Chillies – 3
- Curry Leaves – 1 stem
- Cumin Powder – 1 spoon
- Salt – as required
- Remove the skin of cucumber by peeling. Clean the inside by removing the seeds and washing it thoroughly.
- Cut the cucumber into cubes.
- Make a smooth paste by grinding the coconut, green chillies, shallots, some yogurt and very little mustard seeds. Keep this aside.
- Cook the cut cucumbers, adding very little water, dried red chillies, salt and cumin powder.
- Cook it until the cubes becomes soft and transparent.
- Add the smooth paste prepared in step 3 to the above.
- Keep cooking this on very low flame for a 3-4 minutes. Remove from the stove.
- Once this cools a bit, add yogurt and mix well.
- Heat oil in a kadai\pan.
- Add mustard seeds and once it splutter add shallots and red chillies.
- Fry for few seconds and then add Curry leaves.
- Add this to the contents kept on step 7.