Butter chicken is one of the always ordered dishes at any Indian restaurants. This dish is a wonderful combination of spices and the chicken which is so moist and tender. I have not added cashewnuts as I have to give this to my daughter and she is still in a nut free diet. But you can always add cashew nuts to enhance the taste and rich texture.
- Chicken – 1 kg (I have used boneless breast pieces)
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp (used kashmiri chilli powder for the color)
- Garam Masala – 2 tsp (I usually use the garam masala my Mother in law prepares – she uses Cloves, Cardamom, Star ainse, Cinnamon to make the masala)
- Black Pepper – 1 tsp (crushed and grinded, thanks to my Mother in law for this as well)
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Garlic – 3 tsp (Crushing garlic/ginger gives more taste than slicing it)
- Ginger – 3 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- White pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Lemon juice
- Chive leaves
- Butter – ½ cube
- Onion – 1 cup (chopped)
- Tomato – 2 nos (juicy ripe ones)
- Kasthuri methi – ½ tsp
- Heavy cream – 3 tbsp
- Salt – as required
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Coriander Leaves
- Yogurt – ¾ cup
- Clean and cut the chicken to cube pieces.
- Add salt and ingredients 2 through 11 to the chicken pieces. Add yogurt to this as well and mix.Keep it aside for at least ½ an hour so that the masala gets into the chicken pieces. (For best results, you can keep this in the refrigerator for overnight).
- Heat a pan and add some butter. Saute the onions in that. Add some salt and saute until the onions become transparent. Keep it aside to cool.
- Take the tomatoes and make a puree in a mixer.
- Use the same pan used to saute onions and add some more butter or oil. Add the chicken pieces into this and cook it until it becomes tender.
- Once the marinated chicken is taken there would be masala paste left on the dish, add the sauted onion to that so the onion gets the leftover masala. Make a paste of the onion too using a mixer.
- Once chicken is cooked, take it from the butter\oil and keep it aside.
- Add the onion gravy to the pan, saute it for few. Add the tomato paste and saute it for few.
- Add some butter and ginger garlic paste to this. Later add the kasturi methi.
- Take a bigger pan, add little butter and add the chicken pieces (salt if required). Saute it for few and then add the masala from Step 9. Mix the chicken pieces well.
- Once the gravy is coated on the chicken,add the heavy cream to that.
- Close it with a lid and cook it for 5 mts.
- Use coriander leaves to garnish.